Wednesday, September 03, 2008

You Say To-May-To, I Say To-Mah-To




I haven't written much about my kitties of late--not because they don't do something amusing every day; they do--but my attention has been focused primarily on other things. What happened yesterday, however, deserves special mention.

That's Linus in the photo, Lord Of All He Surveys. He likes to get up on the china hutch to get my attention when he feels I am not sufficiently attentive to his needs. So far, he's done nothing up there other than rattle a lid or two, but I am relieved that the hutch's crown molding creates a 4" deep barrier. I have no doubts he'd try to push one of the soup tureens or teapots off the thing if he thought it would get him what he wanted.

Sometimes he is a bit more subtle. Monday, my mom brought me a slightly under-ripe tomato from her garden. I left it out on the kitchen counter to get a day's sun to hasten its attainment of tomato-y Nirvana, and thus hasten my attainment of tomato-eating Nirvana. Yesterday morning, as I stumbled through my a.m. routine, I heard a thump, then the sound of Linus jumping off a counter, then the scurrying of cats playing with new and interesting toys, like twist ties.

I didn't think too much of it. I wasn't yet entirely awake. [Those of you who know me know well that I am not a 'morning person,' I have never been a 'morning person,' and I will never be a 'morning person.'--Ed.] Only later, when I entered the kitchen, did I realize that Linus and Lucy were playing soccer with the once and future tomato. Which has since disappeared. I have no idea where it is. I've looked for it in all the most likely places (as determined by whence the sounds of their playing with it came). I have looked in all the places they usually stash their toys, or lose them, depending on one's point of view. I have looked in places I believe it would be impossible for the tomato to be.

It's gone. I don't think they ate it; had they done that, there would have been seeds or juice residue visible somewhere. Besides, they've never shown a bit of interest in eating "people food"--except for Lucy with clotted cream and Linus with Ranch salad dressing.

I know. If I wait a few days, the tomato's location will make itself known. I'm just not sure I really want to find it by that method.

And why the heck didn't someone tell the cats the Olympics were over already, anyway?

No comments: