Monday, May 04, 2009

Distressed Signals



I was saddened last year when John Edwards abandoned his bid for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination. I was sickened to learn of his betrayal of his wife, Elizabeth, by having an affair while Elizabeth was battling resurgent breast cancer. I am distressed and disgusted to learn that Edwards is now being investigated for misusing campaign funds.

I still think Edwards has some marvelous ideas. He was the only candidate from either major party who had the guts to make eradicating poverty the centerpiece of his campaign. Having failed to become the Democratic Party's presidential nominee, he'd have made a fine Attorney General. He understands how the rich manipulate the legal system for their own ends; he'd have been a wonder at cleaning up the mess in the Department of Justice that Dubya's minions made.

Still, on balance, I am angry with him. His confession of his affair literally made his wife sick. [I can identify with that, even though my then-husband didn't have the guts to tell me to my face. Elizabeth Edwards said she felt as though she was going to vomit when John told her what he'd done. I couldn't walk into what had been my husband's and my bedroom for nearly a year after he left--with no advance warning to me, by the way--without puking. Good thing the bathroom was only 3 or 4 steps behind me.--Ed.] It destroyed his credibility and availability to participate in the Obama administration. It made it too easy for enemies of his ideas to trash the ideas because of who said them, not because of their own merits or demerits. It also made it impossible for Elizabeth to take a leading role in the upcoming fight for health care reform. She would have been a powerful and extremely effective voice for change.

People have commented that what Edwards did in his personal life was no one's business but his and his wife's, and that they still want him to participate in public service. I wish I could agree. The problem I keep running into is that I cannot trust him anymore. Anyone who is so callous and so careless with the number one most important thing in his life cannot be trusted with the leadership of the nation in any capacity. First, it shows incredible arrogance. Second, it shows a dangerous lack of judgment. Third, it shows a total lack of discretion. Fourth, it distracts everyone from what should be our focus: making America "America" again. Fifth, it gives tons of ammunition to the enemies of reform. Sixth, and most importantly, it is downright dangerous. If you want to know how someone will behave at crunch time on the big issues, watch how s/he handles the "small," private things that no one is supposed to notice. Once you start taking shortcuts in small things, it becomes easier and easier to take shortcuts with big things . . . and eventually, you'll have no credibility or honor left.

I've often said I have the sort of luck that keeps me from jaywalking, even at 4 a.m. on a deserted street. For as sure as I stepped off the curb in the middle of the block and against the light at the intersection, a police car would come out of nowhere and I'd be busted. Rightfully. However, as long as I do not jaywalk at 4 a.m., even on a deserted street, no one will notice. But the law won't be broken.

To put it another way, "If you give a mouse a cookie, he'll ask for a glass of milk." The character that people reveal by their behavior in the "small" things is the same character that will drive their behavior in the big things. I don't wish John Edwards any ill. I hope he is found not guilty of misappropriating campaign funds. But I won't be surprised if my hopes are dashed. And then I'll be angry all over again--for what's really driving my anger is the way his selfishness torpedoed his chances to do good for the whole country.

No comments: