Wednesday, November 26, 2008

There's Always A Market For Snake Oil



How gullible are some people, anyway? I have seen a commercial of late that promises to give parents the ability to solve all their problems with their children in about a minute. I refuse to list the specific product name or the people hawking it on the grounds that I do not wish to (even inadvertently) increase sales of this claptrap.

I will say this: you've probably seen the ad, too. It's the one that starts with the teenage girl screaming "I hate you!" at her mother.

If this product did even half what it promised, we could eliminate Child Protective Services from all levels of government. Just hand out the book/DVD and pass a law saying whomever receives it is required to prove they are using it. All problems solved, and a way to cut a huge amount of government expenditures, to boot!

What's not to like?

Well, to start with, the promises this ad makes are thoroughly impossible. Unless, of course, the book/DVD consists of the advice to lock away your children until they are of legal age. The only sure way to stop disagreements is to give them no place to be expressed. So the book/DVD could suggest that you drug your kids into submission, too, I suppose.

Whatever it suggests, I am not going to spend what little money I still have to find out. You shouldn't, either. If you feel you must spend the money, however, make a donation directly to Child Protective Services, where it will at least do some good.

I know P.T. Barnum is proud of these snake oil salesmen, and I know that such claptrap and hype are part of a free market economy, but I don't have to like it. Truer words were never spoken: caveat emptor!

No comments: