Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bo Knows Football



Forgive me for being a bit giddy. I am still recovering from watching one of the best college football games I've ever seen. Did you see the Colorado-Nebraska game yesterday? Nebraska came from behind with a school-record-breaking 57-yard field goal and a pass interception for a touchdown, both of which happened in the last two minutes, to smack Colorado 40-31. So Nebraska finishes its regular season at 8-4 and is in no way in the hunt for the national championship, let alone the Big XII title. It's a remarkable one-year turnaround from the debacle of the Bill Callahan era at NU. And the Huskers will be going to a bowl game, most probably the Gator Bowl as matters stand now. Thank you, Bo Pelini!

When I was in high school and even when I was a student at UNL, I was in no way a fan of Nebraska football. Football players at NU in those days regularly violated the law and got away with it, all for the sake of fielding teams that could win national championships. But seeing NU's precipitous "fall from grace" during Bill Callahan's tenure was shocking and hurtful. NU is, after all, my alma mater twice over, and I am no different from anyone else in wanting things to which I am connected to be seen favorably by those who know nothing else of me than of those things.

So yesterday was a lot of fun for me despite the fact that Nebraska began the game by giving up two quick touchdowns to Colorado and thus falling behind the Buffaloes 14-0. For some reason, I wasn't worried. Nebraska for decades now has had a tendency to give up long yardage to teams with great passing games, but I had a feeling that as the Husker offense found its rhythm, the game would turn around. I was (for once) rewarded for my patience.

This game epitomizes why I like college football better than pro football as a rule. Crazy things happen in the college game on a regular basis. In the pro game? Not so much--with one notable exception. This past Super Bowl was fun--the Giants played and won the game more like a college team than a pro team, and beat a previously unbeaten Patriots team to do it. That's a classic college scenario, not a pro one.

Nevertheless, I for one will never be totally satisfied with Nebraska football again until the Big XII comes to its senses and returns Oklahoma to its rightful status as Nebraska's foe during "Rivalry Week," the game played the day after Thanksgiving. What the powers that be haven't realized is that "Rivalry Week" has NOTHING to do with geography--if that were the case, Colorado would be a logical choice for Nebraska's opponent--it does have EVERYTHING to do with tradition. And the game rightfully called "The Game of the Century" was between Nebraska and Oklahoma. On the day after Thanksgiving.

I know. Nothing's going to change. The money isn't there, and everything is driven by money these days. But I can dream, can't I?

No comments: