Friday, October 03, 2008

It's Called "Fixed News" For A Very Good Reason



I just finished trying to vote (in all the online polls open to nationwide participation) for who won last night's Vice Presidential candidates' debate. I had no trouble casting my vote at MSNBC.com, AOL.com, the WallStreetJournal.com, nor even the Guardian.com poll. I even managed to get my vote recorded at the Drudge Report poll--which is so out-of-touch with reality that it's showing Palin a 72% to 18% winner. Even the other right wing polls are showing at best a statistical tie. The independent polls (and yes, the more liberal-leaning ones, too) are showing Biden with a solid lead.

I met with one glaring exception, however. When I tried to cast my vote at the Fox News poll, I got an error message saying there was a problem "taking my information." So I went to the "internet options" section of my toolbar, erased my temporary internet files, my history of web sites visited, logged off the internet, restarted my computer, logged on again, and tried to vote at Fox News again. Same result. I repeated these procedures several more times. No difference in result. [I never tried voting for Palin because I did not want to be suckered into casting a vote I did not intend to cast.--Ed.]

Fox "News" is the only online poll, out of all the ones I tried, no matter where they can be said to be located along the American political spectrum, that would not let me cast my vote.

If anyone who tried to vote at the Fox News poll for Palin had the same problem, I will gladly eat my words. For now, however, I am quite sure that the only reason there was a problem "taking my information" was because my "information" was a vote for Joe Biden--who clearly had a more comfortable and in-depth knowledge of the debate issues raised than did Gov. Palin. Watching her while he was speaking was informative: she didn't listen to him; she pored over her notes . . . and then responded with canned platitudes along the lines of what she was scripted to say instead of engaging in honest debate.

But spinning is the only weapon someone who has no real ideas has. Lord knows, she's learned that quickly at her running mate's behest. On Wednesday, John McCain claimed to be totally unaware of any GOP unease at Palin's candidacy . . . and said if anyone in the GOP was opposed to her, it was only cocktail-swigging people at parties in Georgetown. [I saw the interview tapes, with the editors of the Des Moines Register, myself. I am not putting what he said in quotation marks because I don't remember the quote exactly.--Ed] So much for the people at the National Review--only about the most intellectually credible of the right wing magazines--and the only and obvious object of McCain's oblique slur. Yet McCain still insists he is being 100% truthful and upright in his campaign, that he has nothing to be ashamed of, and that he has no need to regain anyone's trust because he's never done anything to lose it.

I'd like to have some of the happy pills he's taking. Having an unrealistic view of the world is apparently much more pleasant than having a genuine one.

No comments: