Thursday, October 23, 2008

Happy Birthday, Weird Al!



As Weird Al celebrates the 20th anniversary of his 29th birthday, let us all contemplate his unique talents.

OK, that didn't take long, did it?

But seriously: writing parodies of popular songs, parodies which themselves skewer popular culture, is not nearly as easy as it seems. I know whereof I speak. I have the itch to write such parodies, too, and I have to admit that I don't do it nearly as well as does Mr. Yankovic.

Nevertheless, I am offering my latest, in appreciation for a kindred spirit, as my tribute to Al's birthday [I cannot believe I am 2-years-plus older than he is.--Ed.]. Have a happy one, Mister White and Nerdy!

It's The Most Horrible Time Of The Year
(to be sung to the tune of the Christmas carol "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year," written in 1963 by Eddie Pola and George Wyle)

It's the most horrible time of the year
With the endless campaigning
And no one explaining
How the heck we got here
It's the most horrible time of the year

There'll be speeches for hearing
And opponents for smearing and
Ads cutting into your favorite shows,
There'll be mud-slinging stories and
Tales of gory lies spread in campaigns of
Long, long ago

It's the most horrible time of the year

The incessant door-belling and
Robocalls are compelling me
To drink more beer . . .

With the lies and mud-slinging
Politicians are bringing
Us unending fear . . .

It's the most abhorrent time,
It's the most disgusting time,
It's the most horrible time of the year!

[copyright 2008, Eclectic Iconoclast
all rights reserved]

No comments: