Thursday, October 30, 2008

Baseball Makes Strange Bedfellows



I've been saying almost all season that the Tampa Bay Rays have that "Team of Destiny" aura about them. Well, the rains in Philadelphia must have washed it away, because last night the Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series four games to one. They beat the Rays 4-3 in a game suspended Monday night at 2-2 in the middle of the 6th inning.

I must admit I am not surprised the Rays lost, but only because the team's performance in the World Series did not reflect how they played for most of the regular season. Seems like they started every game (except the one they won) in the hole. I know they had a lot of come-from-behind victories throughout the year, but who could keep up that pace throughout the playoffs, realistically?

What surprises me most about this, however, is that I was kind of rooting for the Rays to win. And I usually have no use at all for AL teams. What was I thinking?

Then again, I rooted for the Cubs and they got swept in the first round. I rooted for the Dodgers and the Phillies kicked their collective butt. If you see a trend here, you are not alone. Maybe I should start a new career. I could go to Las Vegas and be paid by the house to stand next to people on hot streaks, just to cool them off. The official word is that such "coolers" don't exist, but I don't buy it. The house is going to take advantage of every single advantage it can get. After all, if the house doesn't win much more than it loses, it's not going to stay in business for long, is it?

No comments: