Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Three Things I Wish I'd Never Seen

My jaw literally dropped when I saw and heard John McCain offer up his wife Cindy to be a Miss Buffalo Chip contestant at the Sturgis (SD) motorcycle rally yesterday. Was it ignorance or really bad taste? Miss Buffalo Chip contestants have to take their clothes off . . . and the winners also usually simulate various sex acts with bananas . . . Gross! Of course, the bikers ate it up. Cindy just stood at her husband's side, head down, a strained, close-mouthed smile on her face. If I were her, I'd have socked McCain right in the chops, walked off the stage, and filed for divorce. Is there no low to which his pandering for votes will not stoop?

* * * * * * * * * *

Any and all of the current Citgo ads. They are full of sunniness and light, talking about how all Citgo stations are locally owned, and how that by supporting Citgo, buyers of its gasoline are helping their local economies. They very conveniently do not mention that Citgo is owned by Venezuela. Yep, it's the state-owned and run corporation of Hugo Chavez--you know, Hugo Chavez, whose anti-US rhetoric will curl your hair [or straighten it out if it's already curly--Ed.]. So we as a nation aren't fit to wipe his shoes, but our money is more than good enough to fund his nation's economy.

And for all of you who think I'm betraying my beliefs by condemning an avowed Communist, let me remind you of two things: (1) my opinions are based on fact--I do not let my personal proclivities color my evaluation of anything; (2) Communists in practice are much more to the right than to the left, as philosophical orientations go. The mistake that people make in calling Communists leftists is that thinking because Communists run their abusive power through "the state," they like "big government." And that "big government" equals being "leftist." No, no, no! They are dictators, pure and simple. And that's to the right end of the political spectrum. The mechanism they use to wield their power isn't the issue--their control over everything is.

* * * * * * * * * *

Baskin-Robbins has an ad wherein a soccer dad promises the team Oreo shakes (or sundaes, or something) if they win the game, and a soccer mom promptly kicks the winning goal, then screams at one of the opposing players, "Go-o-o-o-al! In your face!" As of a few days ago, the "in your face" has been cut from the ad. I guess B-R got a lot of complaints from people about that. I hope so. It was beyond obnoxious. I confess to not paying close enough attention to what exactly the winning players were promised, as all the local Baskin-Robbins franchises left the Omaha area years ago, and I see no point in torturing myself by wanting something yummy that I can't have. Even though the temperature is well over 90° every day lately. Even though I still miss B-R's World Class Chocolate [which, in my perhaps not-so-humble estimation, is the single best ice cream flavor ever made.--Ed.].

No comments: