Monday, August 11, 2008

Hello? Hello?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds Dubya's scolding of Russia for its military aggression in Georgia hypocritical and ineffectual. Which is not to say I disagree with it. It's just that when Dubya tells the leader (Prime Minister Putin) of another country that it has no right to invade a third and that its actions are "disproportionate," I can't get past a mental image of a pot calling a kettle black. As it were.

I very much would like to see Georgia keep its freely elected democratic government and not be re-subsumed into a revitalized Soviet Union--even if it's officially without the "Soviet," Russia is turning back into the same empire that lowered the Iron Curtain in the first place.

However, I can't see how anyone in the world can take Dubya's tsk-tsking and finger-wagging lecturing seriously, given the crap he dragged us into in Iraq. Not to mention Afghanistan (though I concede that our presence in Afghanistan is the more justifiable of the two wars).

November cannot come soon enough for me! (Assuming we get a new administration, and not McBush's third term, that is.)

No comments: