Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Never Underestimate The Wisdom Of the Group

The jury gave Zacharias Moussaoui life in prison without parole. Collective wisdom is a wonderful thing. I know that many of the relatives of those killed on 9/11 (and Rudy Guliani) are not happy about this. Nonetheless, it was the right thing to do. Moussaoui wanted to die so that he could become a martyr. He also wanted to die because it would spark a whole new world-wide wave of anti-Western and anti-American violence by Muslim extremists.

I don't care that Moussaoui says America lost because he did not get the death penalty. He is wrong. In actuality, America won. For Moussaoui will be forgotten but not gone. I hope he lives a long, long, long time in jail. Long enough to realize that the world at large has erased him from its consciousness. That will punish him far more than his own death ever would--or could.

I remember a very early Law and Order episode, wherein the character Ben Stone tells the character Adam Schiff that the jury in a quite complex trial got to the right verdict (guilty on some counts, not guilty on others) even if it did it for the wrong reasons. I don't give a hoot about what the Moussaoui jury's reasons were. They got to the right verdict.

Let's hear it for the jury!

[I cannot help but shudder, however, at applauding the wisdom of the collective. It strikes me as capable of being interpreted as pro-Borg, which I most assuredly am not.--Ed.]

No comments: