Monday, May 29, 2006

I Certainly Hope So!

Former US Senator John Edwards visited Council Bluffs, Iowa, last week, and admitted he's considering running for the Democratic Party nomination for president in 2008. Oh, God. please let it bo so!

As much as I agree with Hilary Clinton's stand on many issues, I do not think she can win election to the presidency. She's too polarizing a figure. I can introduce you to any number of people who would vote for someone else saying the same things she says, but who would rather die than vote for HER.

Edwards is a superb alternative. I don't think Al Gore would run again, or that he could win even if he did choose to run, though he's been vindicated about many things, including global warming. Once someone has lost a presidential election, even if it had been stolen from him, when he does run again, he loses again. Consider William Jennings Bryan, Harold Stassen, and Adlai Stevenson, just to name three. Richard Nixon was an abberation in that regard (as in so many other things). Nor would Nixon have won in 1968 had either George Wallace not been running or had Bobby Kennedy not been killed. Edwards has immunity from this observation becuase last time he was the vice presidential candidate. The curse does not extend to potential veeps, at least as far as my research has indicated. If I'll need to stand corrected, I'll stand corrected. Just show me what you've got.

At this point, my personal dream ticket would be John Edwards and Barak Obama. But we have to get through the 2006 congressional elections first. So I'll apologize for jumping the gun on 2008 (and increase the frequency and urgency of my prayers to whatever Power(s) That Be which have any influence over politics).

No comments: