Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Cough, Choke, Wheeze, HACK!



The US Representative for the 2nd District of Nebraska, Lee Terry (R), announced last week that he's running for re-election--again. This will be his seventh campaign, so he's held the seat for 12 years and wants to keep it for at least two more. I make special note of the length of time he's been in Congress for two reasons:

(1) When he ran the first time, and in his first two (or so) re-election bids, he flat-out promised that he would "serve" no longer than he'd be able to under a term-limits law, which he said at the time was a maximum of three or four terms at the most. He said he'd not keep running even if no term-limits law were ever actually passed. No term-limits law ever was passed . . . but he's still there. You do the math.

(2) The article in the Omaha World-Herald announcing the opening of Terry's most recent re-election bid headlined the puff piece by saying Terry was going to continue to work to accomplish "core issues." Well, if he hasn't gotten anything accomplished toward implementing his core issues in the last 12 years, why in the world should he be given another two?

My problem with him is that he's a total party hack. He spouts the GOP line chapter and verse, and just ignores facts that contradict the lies he's spreading. I can live with "my" Representative in the House being of a different political party--hell, I have lived with it, for far too long, frankly. But whomever "my" Representative is, I wish fervently that he or she would have a brain and USE it instead of being a corporate ventriloquist's dummy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ms. K.
Don't it just fry you. Please do a post on the Supreme Ct.'s finding that corporations have (at least some of) the same rights as individuals. I'd love to read your thoughts.

Hello from Oregon
Harry C.

Eclectic Iconoclast said...

Harry, I will take you up on that invtation. It may take me a while; I want to do some research to make sure my memories of certain quotes from history are accurate and documentable.

I will say this in the short run: the decision was execrable. Corporations are totally artificial creatures. They exist solely at the pleasure of the legislative bodies which create the rules and regulations for their existence. They do not vote. This ruling ignores a great number of Supreme Court precedents established during the Great Depression.

It's just another step in the agenda of the very rich to return us to the Gilded Age, when money was power and privilege and everything else, and no one could stop the rich from making money off the poor by selling dangerously contaminated goods. Have you ever read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"?

I did address the decision briefly in one of my more recent posts, though I confess: off the top of my head, I don't remember which one. It was one of those wherein I devoted a few paragraphs each to several topics of the day, and I wrote it within a day or two of the announcement of the decision in this case.