Thursday, April 16, 2009

Allergens That Bloom In The Spring, Tra-La



Gilbert and Sullivan should have it so bad. I think this is the worst spring for allergies I've ever experienced. My cat Linus and I started sneezing the same day back toward the end of February--which was a very bad sign, because he's normally more sensitive to spring allergens than am I. My vet suggested taking human Benadryl and giving him a half dose . . . which would have the additional benefit of calming him down . . . I considered it, then decided against it. For one thing, I know how hard it is to get a cat to take medicine. For another, I don't generally favor the use of drugs (legal or otherwise) to affect behavior. For a third, I don't particularly like Benadryl or find it effective on me, so why risk spending the money?

Not only does spring bring out allergens, however. The sap is definitely rising, and the nutty behavior of some locals proves that humans weren't meant to withstand long winters. Consider the following entries in the Bellevue (NE) Police Blotter over the past few weeks:

On March 11, police responded to a burglary on Lindyview Road. After taking down the victim's information, they discovered she had an outstanding warrant and arrested her.


On March 27, police reported that "unknown suspects" stole "unknown makeup," "unknown clothing," "unknown jewelry," "unknown medicines," "unknown shoes," an "unknown bag," and an "unknown cell phone" from an Avoca man's vehicle on Gregg Road. The value placed on "the unknown" was $1,265.00.


On March 28, a shoplifter interested in increasing the security of his own home stole a $70.00 keypad door lock from Menards.


On April 4, a Bellevue man reported that after leaving Wal-Mart his car was gone. Further investigation revealed the victim had merely forgotten where he had parked.


This is why we cannot afford to lose local newspapers, folks!

No comments: