Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Adding Insult To Injury

So I am minding my own business, watching the annual baseball love-fest of the All Star Game, it's the bottom of the 8th inning (the American League is at bat) with 2 out, and a violent thunderstorm rolls in and my power goes off.

When the power comes back on, I find it's the bottom of the 9th and the game is tied 3-3. So the game goes into extra innings. As the National League keeps getting out of defensive trouble yet stranding runners on base during its at-bats, I am enjoying the quality of play (except for poor Dave Uggla's 3 errors and one major failure to drive home a run)--until I realize it's after midnight and I really want to go to sleep!

And then the American League finally wins it in the bottom of the 15th inning. Four-and-a-half hours plus after the first pitch, the stupid AL wins again.

(1) I must be getting really old. I normally am a total night owl.
(2) I don't care that it's a love-fest for the final year of Yankee Stadium (AL) in its current incarnation--I'd really like to see the National League win one of these things, as it's been more than a decade now since the NL's last outright victory in the "midsummer classic."

What's worse: I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. Those of you who know me know to which team's foibles I refer. I can't say more about it, because I fear I'll jinx the team . . . again. But it's really Hell On Earth when one cannot even enjoy one's favorite team's successes because one fears in one's heart that said successes cannot and will not last.

No one ever said life was fair, but this is ridiculous!

No comments: