Friday, April 21, 2006

I Was An Eighth-Month Preemie . . .

. . . and I've been exhibiting Type A behavior ever since.

Not quite in the penultimate-to-my-half-century-year, I am already doing the "taking stock of my life" thing. Frankly, I do not like a lot of what I see.

Am I anywhere near where I thought and planned I'd be at this stage of my existence? Not hardly. And there's no one to blame for it--for a chronic and debilitating (and ultimately fatal) pulmonary disease of unknown cause and no known cure has brought me low. What's even worse is that I was exhibiting symptoms of this insidious disease for a good 5 (count 'em, FIVE) years before I was (finally) diagnosed correctly. But is anyone willing to take that into consideration and cut me a little slack for my admittedly somewhat aberrant behavior while I was seriously ill but didn't know it? Of course not. That would take something rare, like compassion, maturity, understanding, or even kindness.

My house is full of "durable medical equipment." I have a bi-Pap machine in my bedroom, so that I can breathe and get supplemental oxygen while I (try to) sleep--in my home-use hospital bed-- with a mask plastered over my face. I have a nebulizer (with meds) and a pulse oximeter in my bathroom so that I can open my bronchii while awake and make sure I'm getting enough oxygen then, too. I have a blood pressure cuff. I have a portable electric oxygen concentrator and 36 tanks of compressed air oxygen in my office in case my weekly liquid oxygen delivery is late. I have two 4' tall liquid oxygen tanks in my foyer (too heavy to carry upstairs), along with two portable liquid tanks so that I can leave the house. I have a portable compressed air delivery device (and another portable compressed air tank) in my car in case I am away from home and my portable liquid tank runs dry. I have an exercise bike, free weights, a treadmill, and an ab-cruncher in my family room to maintain some level of fitness in the face of not being able to breathe.

I have a motorized wheelchair that I am supposed to use when going out and about. Since my car is not big enough to carry the thing, however, I hardly ever leave home unless absolutely necessary. And I can't afford to buy a minivan so I can transport the wheelchair, either. At home, I am tethered at all times to a 50-foot length of oxygen tubing so that I can get the liquid oxygen from its big tanks into my lungs. When using the portable tanks, I have a 7-foot leash. Not to mention 15 different prescriptions I must take that my pulmonologist and general practitioner have determined are necessary to maintain my life in some state remotely resembling normal. My full-time job has become coping with this stupid disease and managing the medical and financial problems it produces.

The irony in all this is that I am a life-long non-smoker. When I am feeling relatively strong, it doesn't bother me that people stare when I am out and about with my portable oxygen tank. [We held a contest at my last outside place of employment to name it. The winning entry was Mannheim Steamroller, because "it gives me Fresh Aire." Now that's a pun that Omaha-area denizens can appreciate!--Ed.] When I am not feeling particularly strong, however (which is most of the time) but I have to be out doing things anyway, it hurts like hell to see the accusation in the starers' eyes: "You must have done this to yourself. You are too young to be in such dire straits unless you yourself caused it. Shame on you."

So I make (lame) attempts to bring up at every opportunity that I don't (and didn't) smoke, and that this disease has no known cause . . . or cure. Imagine, feeling guilty for being sick! How utterly American of me! [Yes, I, too, have fallen victim to the myth of the Right Wing: in America, you can always go as far as you want, and if you don't get there, you have no one to blame but yourself.--Ed.]

As if that were not enough, the presence of the obviously disabled in this society is still mostly not welcome. Omaha is just now planning to cut curbside access for wheelchairs in its sidewalks. How long has the Americans With Disabilities Act been in effect? Far more than 10 years. What took the city so long?

A recent article in the Omaha World-Herald described how people still discriminate against the physically disabled in the workplace. The presumption is that healthy people think (perhaps subconsciously) if someone with a physical handicap can do the same job those healthy people are doing, it somehow reflects badly on the healthy people. So the healthy people don't want the disabled around and thus do everything they can to make the disabled feel unwelcome . . . that is, if the disabled get in the door in the first place. Anyone who is disabled and who loses a job finds it nearly impossible to get another one. I can vouch for that from personal experience.

Moreover, in so-called "right to work" [read that "right to be unemployed," or "right to keep unions and other pro-labor assistance out"--Ed.] states, like Nebraska, someone with a disability can be fired even if the disability is the (real) reason and nothing can be done about holding the employer liable for violating the Americans With Disabilities Act. As long as the employer can come up with some colorable reason ("we weren't making enough money and thus had to cut staff," e.g.), the fired employee has no grounds to complain. The employment contract was considered "at will" for both employer and employee, so the employer has the rights and the employee has the right to get screwed.

I thought the legal fiction that one lone employee came to the bargaining table with equal power to the giant, multinational employer had been thoroughly discredited. But "conservatives" no longer want merely to conserve. They want to undo. We are being forced back into the 1890s, in labor law, tax law, environmental law, food and drug safety law, corporate law, and every other business-impinging kind of law you can imagine.

Many healthy people don't want the disabled around in their restaurants, either. I can (but I won't, unless you ask) tell you several personal horror stories of substandard treatment I've received since being hooked to my oxygen tank, in places I previously attended regularly with no problems while I was not obviously physically disabled. And yes, I make a point of never going back . . . and of notifying the management of why . . . when I can. The staff at one place I went even refused to give me a customer comment card. Claimed they had no such thing.

Right. Want to buy a bridge?

Yet the support group for women with my particular lung disease is full of happy, shiny people who are so grateful to the group for its help and emotional assistance. Of course, they all have spouses and others who didn't run screaming in the opposite direction, which means they had emotional support and financial stability, too. And the group raises money strictly for research. "Can't help anyone directly. It would be too complicated to decide who needed help." Or so says the group's founder. But as I keep telling her, all the medical research in the world isn't going to help me if I am not alive to see it implemented. Limiting direct help to a "rah-rah" cheerleading effort is NOT particularly helpful to my continued existence. Or maybe that's the point. Maybe my continued existence is not important.

***sigh***

I apologize. Most of the time, I keep my perspective. But when I am tired, and broke, and there are bills due that I cannot pay, I sometimes slump. Today, I am slumping. I saw a piece on ESPN the other day about a young man who became a quadriplegic due to a sports injury. His attitude and mine coincide in remarkable degree. He, too, said most of the time he was fine, as he was too busy doing what needed to be done each day to spend time moaning and complaining and bewailing his fate. But there were days . . . and what he wouldn't give for a weekend off! I second THAT emotion.

And so while I regret the "never-weres" and "might-have-beens" of my life, I do not often have time to reflect on them. There's too much to do every day, even if that comprises merely feeding the cats and getting dressed. I have a mug that says, "God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I shall never die." In that spirit, every time I get one project done, I pick up two more to do. I am not going without a fight. You can't get rid of me that easily!

7 comments:

Taffy Doublewide said...

Five years for a diagnosis... yes, that sounds about right. You do realize you have to wait until it looks exactly like the picture in the textbook? This is why my rule is to wait until I have passed out in a public place, or until one or more limbs stop working before venturing into a doctor's office. Then I can hear the doctor say, "Why did you wait so long? Now your (insert disease and/or injury) looks just like the one in the textbook and that, I'll have you know, is an autopsy photo."

Five years is also the amount of time it took doctors to figure out my mother had cancer. They had to wait until it spread from the leg she kept complaining about to her non-smoking lungs, apparently because someone tore out the page that had the picture of soft tissue sarcoma on it. So my new theory, based on your experience and my mother's, is that I should wait five years to go to the doctor so I can be diagnosed right away with whatever killed me two years earlier.


As for feeling guilty, I thought I was the only one. Although my problems don't compare to yours, I feel guilty for looking perfectly normal even though I am unable to sit or stand for more than ten minutes without a great deal of pain, thanks to multiple back injuries and surgeries. (Imagine how guilty I'd feel if the injuries didn't show up on an MRI.) And as soon as the doctors do an autopsy and figure out what's growing in my neck, I'm sure I'll feel guilty about that, too. I already feel guilty about having to eat a lot of ice cream in order to stay over 100 pounds, and for being tired and in pain all the time. I wonder if part of this, for me anyway, could be leftover Catholic guilt. You can never get rid of it no matter how hard you try to convince yourself that the ignorant masses, who are aiding and abetting your guilt, have no authority to do so.

I do hope you are feeling better today, though...


sgiron: A device for keeping spices neat and wrinkle-free. Every Happy Housewife worthy of her title owns one and uses it with great compulsion. (Sorry, Mortimer Fenby would have my head if I didn't provide the definition of his most exalted word verification.)

Eclectic Iconoclast said...

Taffy, I like the way you think. I actually was (according to the doctors on duty) clinically dead at one point on the night I was finally correctly diagnosed, so your theory about waiting 5 years is well-supported.

My best friend's mother had something happen to her almost exactly like what you said happened to your mother. May they rest in peace.

Ah, the Catholic guilt thing. We never do escape it, do we? I have at times even felt guilty for using handicapped parking even though I have the permit--because people have challenged my right to park there even though they can see the permit AND my oxygen tank. Some of them seem to think that if one is not in a wheelchair, it doesn't count. Not true!

I threw out my back once--I sympathize with your struggles with pain. And I pulled a muscle in my rib cage once--the agony of trying to breathe with that thing throbbing is definitely to be missed!

I do feel better today, thank you. Most of the time I keep my head on straight, but I do have days . . .

You know, I have never in my life received a comment verification code including a vowel. So I guess you can say I've never had a vowel movement. AHEM!

I'm signing off for now.

Aren't you glad?

Taffy Doublewide said...

Mortimer is a tyrant when it comes to vowel movements. I believe this is because it's the only control he has over his commenting masses.

I guess my textbook photo diagnosis theory is correct. Did they do an autopsy to figure out what was wrong? I personally think some doctors prefer this diagnostic method because they don't have to sterilize equipment or wash their hands or administer anesthesia or be careful where they cut or talk to the patient, etc, etc, etc.... It gets tedious, you know.

vvmsnsr: Volvo and Gillette have finally teamed up to create for women everywhere the product of our dreams -- a pink vehicle that raises awareness for breast cancer and also contains a razor in the grill to shave smooth the legs of anyone it runs over.

Eclectic Iconoclast said...

No, no autopsy was done as far as I know(I did get last rites, however)--though one of the doctors on duty wanted me to get a heart-lung transplant. Lucky for me, his opinion did not prevail. The pulmonologist on call thought he recognized my symptoms (he'd had a question about it on his specialty boards!), and he ordered a biopsy, which confirmed his suspicions. At the time I was finally diagnosed correctly, I was told I was one of only 200 known cases of this particular disease, ever. More have been diagnosed since.

Leave it to me. I can't go and get some garden variety something. I have to get something weird that almost no one has ever heard of. I think that that is part and parcel of being left-handed.

Then again, the year before, my appendix blew up the night before I turned 30. I made a lot of bad jokes about my warranty running out. This is a perfect example of "be careful what you ask for . . ."

Look! I finally got a vowel! "xvzyhceb" What the heck is that?

Taffy Doublewide said...

I believe a "xvzyhceb" is a new piece of medical equipment that essentially makes the x-ray, along with the MRI and the CAT scan, obsolete. Imagine a large, much more expensive egg slicer that divides the live patient into easy-to-examine slices and you'll be well on your way to understanding exactly what an xvzyhceb is, along with how to operate one.

See how good I am at getting a good dialogue going? (Why can't I get used to that word without the "ue" at the end?)

I have a funny story about last rites, if you can imagine there is one. When my mother was dying (Ha-ha, see what I mean? Funny!), we kept her at home where she was safe from the doctors. The only drawback to this was my father. Being an Irish Catholic, he had this daily compulsion to call the pastor of the local church (when not threatening the Queen of England) and ask him to come and administer the last rites to my mother. Even though my mother was also an Irish Catholic, she was not the sort to start brown-nosing God just because she was on her way out. Whenever she heard that the priest was on the way, she'd roll her eyes and ask what she could have possibly done wrong since the last time she received last rites, as there really aren't many sins one can commit while confined to a hospital bed. (I don't know about you, but I've tried to see if I could sin in a hospital bed and, even though I am an expert sinner with a Girl Scout badge to prove it, I have to admit it was difficult to accomplish anything even remotely sinful.)

One day, the dreaded priest (who had the personality of an old gym sock) came to the door and my mother told me she'd had enough. She was just not doing the last rites thing anymore as she was in no condition to sin anyway. She grabbed the remote and said, "Tell him I'm busy." So, naturally, I started laughing even before I got to the door and once I start in these situations, there's no stopping me. I opened the door and told the priest that my mother was too busy for last rites today. Then, as I feared, he asked what she could possibly be doing. (Oh, the irony.) So I just had to do it. I told him (while biting my tongue in half) that she was probably busy sinning and that he should come back tomorrow, as she would definitely be needing those last rites then.

(I should mention that this priest was not fond of me, anyway. At her burial, he told me to "call when you decide you would like to go to heaven.")

Eclectic Iconoclast said...

Ah, so that's what it means! I bow to your superior ways with language manipulation, Taffy.

Which leads me to make two observations, post an advertisement, and ask a question.

Observation the first: every Irishman maintains within himself a sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.

Observation the second: Irish diplomacy is the art of telling a man to go to hell in such a way that he looks forward to making the trip.

Advertisement: Authentic Irishman for hire. Storytelling and singing. Dancing and carrying on. Available all hours. Experienced drinking companion.

Question: If one already has the gift of the gab and then kisses the Blarney Stone, does that cancel it out or make it worse?

A partial answer, from my own observations of my now-ex-husband (not my choice, but NE is a no-fault divorce state)is that it makes it worse.

Lord, if we could get every Irishman (and woman, naturally) to kiss the Blarney Stone, we could take over the world. Or at least leave it laughing itself to death. Which is infinitely preferrable to nuking itself to oblivion.

Eclectic Iconoclast said...

BTW, your last rites story IS funny! And for what it's worth, I can't spell "dialogue" without the "ue" either.

I'll give you a bookend for your last rites story: when I was born (and I was an 8th-month preemie, breach birth, upside down, collapsed lung, umbilical cord wrapped around my neck, underweight--would that that had lasted!--totally black and blue), my mom, who herself had nearly hemmoraged to death in the process, was frantic about my condition.

So Monseignor Mahoney (stess on the "Ma" not the "hone"), who could have been Barry Fitzgerald in voice and looks, visited. In an attempt to comfort her, he took her hand, patted it gently, and said, "There, there. She'll probably grow up to be a lady wrestler."

Thus do the Irish hold the secret of life: laugh at everything. But don't tell the Protestants. They'd just ruin it.