Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Pondering Some Imponderables

Or, I didn't steal this from George Carlin, honest! These are all my own thoughts. Can I help it if great minds think alike?

(1) Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Obviously, the egg. Something that was not quite a chicken laid an egg that hatched a chicken, or so evolution suggests.

(2) What's more important, great hitting or great pitching? Harry Caray and Steve Stone used to argue about this all the time on WGN-TV broadcasts of Cubs' games. I forget which of them took which side, but for my money, the answer is simple: great hitting. To win a game, you have to score at least once. While there are ways to score without getting a hit, all you can do with great pitching is to keep the other guy from scoring. In that case, if everyone plays to his/her best, you'd wind up w/ a 0-0 tie. Great pitching cannot give you a win; it can only keep you from losing. Great hitting is they way to go.

(3) I wonder why all the fundamentalists out there who refuse modern medical treatments have stopped to consider that the treatments they are refusing may well be the miracles God promised them in the first place. Where is it written in stone that the only things that can be miracles are totally out-of-the-blue and off-the-wall? Why can't miracles be things God's wisdom has inspired mankind to develop?

(4) [A bit of an Andy Rooneyish observation for varied flavor.--Ed.] Don't you just hate getting a fortune cookie that contains advice instead of a fortune? When did that change, anyway? Probably had something to do with oversensitivity to "political correctness," I'd guess. I about fell out of my chair last night when I got a fortune cookie that had a real fortune in it: "You will soon find someone sympathetic to your cause."

I have no idea which cause is meant; I am just thrilled that it's a fortune and not some wimpy "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" advice for a change.

No comments: